Sunday, April 19, 2009

WA DC #3

If you see my parents, tell them I need a new computer charger.

Moving on...Today we went to the Capitol, where we had a private tour (Grandma had contacted the Senator beforehand to ask if it was available). Just the three of us! We visited the old Senate, House, and Supreme Court chambers (yep, the Supreme Court used to meet in the Capitol basement). Did you know that the Congress have a private underground trolley that takes them from the Capitol to their offices? (It's right across the street). Our guide took us across, showed us the Senator's office, and gave us guest tickets to see Congress in session (Sweet!).

Before we went to the Capitol, we briefly visited the Library of Congress. Wow. I think they took about every block of marble and every mosaic tile from the entire continent to build that building. It was amazing, and I could have easily spent 3 days there.

We also went on a bus tour that night, right around sundown, to see the monuments. We visited the FDR memorial, the Korean War memorial, the Iwo Jima memorial, and the Thomas Jefferson memorial. Lotsa memorials. We also got to see the eternal flame of JFK. I want an eternal flame!!!

Our bus driver informed us: "My name is Grumpy. I'm blind in one eye and I can't see out the other. You know what that makes you? Very brave. I'm allowed three people a day, so if you feel a large bump, don't look out the windows and don't say anything. Unless it's the fourth."

He also showed us the "free hotel". We were informed that it has very good security and free meals. Just guess.

And that's all for today, my devoted readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment